China – Taiwan Issue
China sends 25 jets into Taiwan air zone
Why in News?
- China’s display of air force against Taiwan is the exhibition of military power.
- This has been on the rise by China against Taiwan.
- China has claimed Taiwan through its “one China” policy since the Chinese civil war forced the defeated Kuomintang, or Nationalists, to flee to the island in 1949 and has vowed to bring it under Beijing’s rule by force if necessary.
- While Taiwan is self-governed and de facto independent, it has never formally declared independence from the mainland.
- Under the “one country, two systems” formula, Taiwan would have the right to run its own affairs; a similar arrangement is used in Hong Kong.
- Presently, Taiwan is claimed by China, which refuses diplomatic relations with countries that recognize the region.
Indo- Taiwan Relations:
- Although they do not have formal diplomatic ties, Taiwan and India have been cooperating in various fields.
- India has refused to endorse the “one-China” policy since 2010.
MCQ for Prelims
Question: Taiwan is located in:
(a) Arctic Ocean
(b) Indian Ocean
(c) Atlantic Ocean
(d) Pacific Ocean